Sigiriya, Also known as the Lion Rock, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in the central Matale District of Sri Lanka. It is a popular tourist destination and is considered one of the most iconic landmarks in the country. The ancient rock fortress is situated on a massive rock plateau that rises 200 meters above the surrounding jungle. It is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Sri Lanka.
Sigiriya is located in the central Matale District of Sri Lanka, approximately 169 km from Colombo. The nearest town is Dambulla, which is about 20 km away. The site is easily accessible by car or bus.
Hours of Operation:
Sigiriya is open to visitors from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm every day of the week.
The admission fee for Sigiriya is $30 for foreigners and 50 LKR for Sri Lankan citizens. Children under the age of 12 are admitted free of charge.
Sigiriya is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Sri Lanka, and it has received rave reviews from visitors. Many people have praised the stunning views from the top of the rock, as well as the well-preserved ancient ruins. Visitors have also noted that the site can be quite crowded, especially during peak tourist season.
Things to Do and See:
There are many things to do and see while visiting Sigiriya. Here are some of the top recommendations:
1. Climb the Rock: The most popular activity at Sigiriya is climbing to the top of the rock. The climb is steep and can be challenging, but the views from the top are breathtaking.
2. Explore the Ancient Ruins: Sigiriya was once a royal palace and fortress, and there are many ancient ruins to explore. Visitors can see the remains of the palace, the gardens, and the moat.
3. Visit the Museum: There is a small museum at the site that provides information about the history of Sigiriya and the ancient civilization that built it.
4. Take a Guided Tour: Visitors can take a guided tour of the site to learn more about its history and significance.
5. Enjoy the Surrounding Nature: The area around Sigiriya is lush and green, with many trees and plants. Visitors can take a leisurely walk around the site and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
Sigiriya is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Sri Lanka. It is a stunning example of ancient architecture and engineering, and the views from the top of the rock are truly breathtaking. Visitors should plan to spend several hours exploring the site and taking in all that it has to offer.