Udawalawe National Park is a wildlife sanctuary located in the southern province of Sri Lanka. The park is home to a variety of animals, including elephants, leopards, and crocodiles. Visitors can take a jeep safari through the park to see the animals in their natural habitat. The park is also home to several ancient ruins and temples. Admission to the park is LKR 6,000 for foreigners and LKR 1,000 for locals.
Udawalawe National Park is located in the southeastern region of Sri Lanka, approximately 200 km from Colombo. The park is easily accessible by car or jeep, and there are several tour operators offering jeep safaris into the park.
Hours of Operation:
Udawalawe National Park is open to visitors from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm every day of the week.
The admission fee for Udawalawe National Park is $15 for foreigners and 2000 LKR for Sri Lankan citizens. Children under the age of 12 are admitted free of charge.
Best time to visit:
The best time to visit Udawalawe National Park is from February to June, during the dry season, when wildlife sightings are more common. This is also the peak tourist season, so visitors should expect larger crowds.
There are several accommodation options available near Udawalawe National Park, including hotels, resorts, and camping sites. Visitors can choose from budget-friendly options or more luxurious accommodations, depending on their preferences.
Tips for Visitors:
When visiting Udawalawe National Park, visitors should bring plenty of water, wear comfortable clothing and footwear, and bring a hat and sunscreen. Visitors should also be prepared for long walks and be respectful of the wildlife in the park.
Sustainable tourism is a priority in Udawalawe National Park, and the park and local communities are working together to preserve the natural beauty and wildlife of the area. Visitors are encouraged to minimize their impact on the environment and follow park guidelines for viewing wildlife.
Tours and Activities:
There are several tours and activities available in Udawalawe National Park, including jeep safaris, birdwatching tours, and nature walks. Visitors can choose from a variety of tours, depending on their interests and time constraints.
Udawalawe National Park is accessible by car or jeep, and there are several tour operators offering jeep safaris into the park. Visitors with disabilities should be aware that some areas of the park may be difficult to access.
Respect for Wildlife:
Visitors to Udawalawe National Park are reminded to respect the wildlife in the park, including guidelines for viewing wildlife, avoiding disturbance, and minimizing impact on the environment. Visitors should follow park rules and regulations and be mindful of the animals and their habitats.
Udawalawe National Park has received positive reviews from visitors, with many praising the large population of elephants and the stunning scenery. Visitors have also noted the knowledgeable and friendly park rangers, and the park’s commitment to sustainable tourism.
Things to Do and See:
Here are some of the top recommendations for things to do and see in Udawalawe National Park:
1. Safari: One of the best ways to see the wildlife of Udawalawe National Park is on a safari. Visitors can book a jeep tour with a park ranger, who will take them on a journey through the park in search of wildlife.
2. Wildlife Watching: Udawalawe is home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, leopards, and many bird species. Visitors can also see a range of other wildlife, including reptiles, primates, and mammals.
3. Nature Walks: Visitors can take a leisurely walk through the park and enjoy the natural beauty of the area. There are several trails to choose from, ranging from easy walks to more challenging hikes.
4. Bird Watching: Udawalawe is a birdwatcher’s paradise, with a range of bird species to see, including eagles, owls, and parakeets.
5. Photography: Udawalawe is a stunning destination for photographers, with its diverse wildlife and breathtaking scenery. Visitors can bring their cameras and capture the beauty of the park.
Udawalawe National Park is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Sri Lanka. With its diverse wildlife and stunning scenery, it is a perfect place for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. Visitors should plan to spend a full day in the park, as there is so much to see and do. Whether you are interested in wildlife watching, nature walks, or photography, Udawalawe National Park has something to offer.